See Things For What They Can Be

Archive for the ‘auto repair’ Category

One Guess

image

A couple of weeks ago I replaced the driver’s  side. Today I’m replacing the passenger side tie rod ends. After removing the old ones, it’s evident they were in desperate need of replacement. Several years ago even though I did my own repairs as much as possible, I would not have attempted this. Just goes to show you what time and the cost of auto repair will do for ya.

Last Sunday I had to replace my water pump. That was a treat. I’m hoping this is it for a good spell.

Well, gotta get this finished.

#whatruworkinon

Again?…Now Really

If you read my post not long ago about the two nails I had in my tires, my daughter was here a few days after that and they had a slow leak in their left front tire. I took a look see and lo and behold…



So I go to work. 

OK….

so now we fast forward to today….

I got this after I picked TheWife up from work

Like threading a needle

Add the glue

And voila! 

Here’s the little booger
I must say that I am so happy that I got this kit from WalMart. The name of this brand is Slime….sure came in handy.

No I’m not getting anything for mentioning this product….just self satisfaction.

Hmmm….now how much money have I saved?….


As I Tweeted Earlier Today

Some of you already know that I replaced the oxygen sensor on my van earlier today. At first I didn’t think I would get the old one out. A piece of cake is what I thought, especially since the van was driven which would heat the part enough….so I thought. Even with vise grips it would not budge. I almost gave up because I didn’t want to damage the old sensor in case I couldn’t get it out. So I go old school and apply heat directly to the connection with a propane tank….put the grips back on it, gave it a twist, and bingo! I just started thanking God right away because He gave me all that I needed to get it loose….patience and time to think it through without getting flustered. Image
After the new one was in place, I didn’t wait to start it up…I wanted to see if it was going to be any different during starting and idling. So I fire it up and it didn’t start right away, but it didn’t drag either. I could tell right away….seconds after it was running, that it had made a difference. It idled quietly, but when I placed it into drive it was rough, as if nothing had changed.
So I take it out for a spin. Once I hit the road and accelerate, it had more power. It didn’t drag during acceleration and I was really happy about that. I decide to take it on the interstate and on the entrance ramp it had more get up and go. I was able to change lanes faster. Now I’ll have to be careful not to drive it like a race car or I won’t be saving any fuel still. We’ll see what happens this week.
Oh yeah…I also bought a grease gun and lubed the front end today…that made a big difference too.
Yeah…some of you know about that too. 
For those who don’t, you can catch up here: This Takes Me Back 
                                                                 This Is My Yesterday
Reggie

This Takes Me Back

I’m tellin ya ahead of time….it’s a picture heavy post.


It was time for me to take a closer look at the engine of my van. This won’t be the first time I had the “dog house” cover off, but it will be the first time I’m taking a good look into what I’ll have to do in the near future.

















It comes apart in two sections.







It’s really pretty easy to 
take apart….two 1/2″ bolts
on the floor….



 ….and two clamps on both sides 
at the top.


Once you get both sections off, you have access to a great portion of the engine.


When I removed the breather cover, there was a strong gas odor. I’ll probably replace the oxygen sensors.

Spark plugs don’t look so hot either.   

I climbed underneath to see why my 
tires were worn and part of the reason, 
the ball joints have no grease. 

I rotated the tires to finish up. The van is in sound condition and once I get the tune up and some tires I should be good for a bit.
I tinted the windows a couple weeks ago…it looks much better from a distance, but not bad for doing it alone. The instructions suggest two people; that is some hard stuff to work with I’ll tell ya! I removed the windows from the van and tinted them that way.

On another note….I’m thinking of designing new signatures for my blogs.

Reggie


                                            


%d bloggers like this: